Perfect sandwich for the day after Halloween (Dia de los Muertos)!
Mexican “Dia de los Muertos” Sugar Skull (Calavera) Sandwich
~ Bread ~ Peanut Butter & Jelly ~
~ Mini Marshmallows ~ Assorted Decorations ~
This sandwich works well with peanut butter & jelly because the jelly shows through the eyes and nose holes and looks cool and creepy, but feel free to substitute whatever kind of filling you want.
- Spread fillings on bottom slice of bread, set aside.
- Cut eyes and nose holes in top piece of bread (eyes: I used a bottle cap. nose: you could use a heart shaped cutter, but I used a skewer to poke holes in the shape I wanted and then pushed the piece out of the bread).
- Cut teeth out with butter knife.
- Use any little doodads in your kitchen to create decorative dots, flowers, and swirls. Google “sugar skulls” for tons of decoration inspiration!
- I used craisins, pumpkin seeds, mini marshmallows cut in half, chocolate chips and a mini cookie.
- Other good materials would be: candy, fruit snacks, licorice, etc.
- Fill in the teeth with something to make them show up (I used pumpkin seeds turned sideways).
- Garnish plate with marshmallow dots.