So many of my friends are having babies that it can be hard to give them all nice gifts for their baby showers. Enter the dollar store! You can find a few great things for baby that, with a little embellishment, will make them the hit of the shower.
You can also adapt these projects to work with supplies you can get at a discount store like Wal-mart or Target! You will find a more selection at these stores.
You can find plain, patterned, or screenprinted onesies at the dollar store, and embellish them to make a sweet gift.
- Sweet Doily: The addition of a small doily to a onesie is an adorable gift for a sweet little girl. You can find readymade crocheted doilies at the dollar store, so this is a simple and quick project! (photo above!)
- Stamp that Onesie: Use fabric paint and your favorite rubber stamp to make a cute repeating pattern on a wee onesie. You can make your own stamp pad to use with fabric paint.
- Applique Application: Sewing chick picked up some onesies at her local dollar store and added some cute appliques using home decorating fabric samples and vintage yo-yos.
- Fabric Paint Applique: I LOVE the addition of fabric paint around a stencil to give the stencil an applique look without the effort. Missie Krissie made this adorable cupcake graphic using a freezer paper stencil, which is another simple way to embellish. You can use the stenciling technique to add funny sayings to your onesie. My favorite: “What happens at Grandma’s, stays at Grandma’s!”
Useful Baby Gifts
A useful gift is the best gift in my book. Onesies are useful for awhile, but here are some gifts that keep on giving:
- Stroller Cover: I’m in awe of this stroller cover made with flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths. Grand total = $4.
- Crocheted Edge Receiving Blankets: The dollar store carries a good selection of cute receiving blankets. The problem is, one receiving blanket is just a little too thin to be a nice gift. Try this: lay two blankets back-to-back and then crochet a pretty edge around them to make a stunning, yet frugal, gift.
What are your great ideas for frugal baby shower gifts?