How to submit to CROQ Zine
NOTE: right now, the print zine is on indefinite hiatus, but you can join these mailing lists to get info if and when we start publishing again (you won’t get much email, and we won’t sell your email address!)
Want to guest post? We are open to any articles on running an indie business, blogging, photography, craft tutorials, interviews. Pretty much anything, actually! Contact: heather -at- croqzine dot com.
Our focus is the DIY crafty community with an indie business focus.
Contributors receive a byline with a website address, and a complimentary copy of the issue in which the contribution appears. There is no other pay at this time.
What we want:
- DIY Projects with pictures (approximately 300-600 word articles, 2-5 clear pictures of the process and the final product), preferably projects that have not been overdone (i.e. we don’t want Marble Magnets).
- Personal essays that deal with your craft, your crafty life, craft ethics, the craft community or other crafty topic (600 words or less)
- Interviews with crafty visionaries, indie crafters, or influencers (preferably somewhat known in crafty circles) (600-1000 words)
- News/Feature stories of crafters doing something notable or craftivism-related
- Seasonal crafty content (think one season ahead!)
- Fun Crafty Print Activities (Example: Summer issue Word Find, Craft MASH game)
- Crafty and Indie Business Articles
What we don’t want:
- Explicit Adult Content
- An article about you/your shop, written by you — Shameless Self Promotion
- An article/project that copies someone else’s project or style
We will accept completed articles or article pitches with a writing sample. There is no pay at this time, but you will receive a byline with your web address and a complimentary copy of the zine. Also, you may have an opportunity to write more for us!
- Save as .doc or .rtf
- Font: Arial, size 9
- Spacing: Single
- Begin with article title (clever headline is better!), then “By YOUR NAME, your web address”
- Begin each paragraph with a tab, no spaces between paragraphs
- Save with your last name, short article description as file name (example: smith_working_from_home.doc)
- Include your name, email, snail mail address at end of article
Local Trumps Organic
By Jean Railla, getcrafty.com
We are looking for a wide variety of illustrations. If you are interested in illustrating for us, please send a message of inquiry along with links to some examples.
Illustrations can be any style or media, but should work well when printed in black and white.
We are willing to look at your existing illustrations for use in the zine, but are more interested in custom illustrations that compliment our content specifically.
Payment at this time is non-monetary. We will give your illustration a credit with your name & web address, along with a complimentary copy of the zine.
- Save as .jpg, .pdf, .tif or .svg at 300 dpi
- If graphic is black & white, save as Grayscale graphic
- If color, save as CMYK
- Save with your last name, illustration name as file name (example: smith_working_from_home.jpg)
Print zine is on hiatus.
Deadlines are as follows:
- Spring issue (due date: January 15), , Projected publishing date: March 1
- Summer issue (due date: April 15) , Projected publishing date: June 1
- Fall issue (due date: July 15), Projected publishing date: September 1
- Winter issue (due date: October 15), Projected publishing date: December 1